Sunday, June 1, 2014

A Little Bit About Spiritual Knowledge

I have a testimony. To us active, believing, mostly practicing Mormons, that means a conviction of truth, absolute truth, regarding important things.

I believe, I know and I think are all involved here. And I think it makes sense. Anyone can have a different opinion. But to understand my views you'd have to walk in my shoes.

It's OK if you don't understand or agree. But I've got my experience, my life and my logic that all come together on this. I'm glad to say I know it's true.

I've seen miracles. I've learned to feel after truth. I've come to love the "whisperings" of the spirit, the still small voice that we also call a feeling. There is a difference between this and a biological or emotional feeling. Most often it doesn't come with words, but occasionally it does.

When I first heard that "voice" I was 9 years old. My father had challenged me to read the Book of  Mormon when I was 8, backed up with a $50 reward (a  huge amount to an eight year old those 55 years ago)

I read a particular verse after struggling through a few dozen pages, and the feeling/voice/whispering passed through me. It was a combined mental/emotional/physical thing, indescribable really, but I knew I had never had that kind of experience before. Doesn't matter which verse specifically. Don't exactly remember.

But I said to myself at the time, "I wonder if that's it?" The Spirit of Truth, some call it. I thought about it long, and concluded that's what it was.

It felt/tasted/impressed me as good. That was my decision, and that decision was similarly confirmed the with the same kind of impression. It's come the same-but-not-identical way, thousands of times, as I read, pray, listen and ponder over Truth.

It's become one of my favorite things about life. And when my sister stole the $50 from its hiding place, and no one made her give it back, I was actually left with something far more precious that can never be stolen (but it could be lost).

And I've long since forgiven my sister. Except for sometimes when I forget I've forgiven her. Then I experience a dulling sense of the gift of knowledge and understanding.

I love the gospel, my family, my wife and my Savior. These things are the greatest blessings of my life. Whatever I'm here for is still in process, I can tell because I'm still here, and I'm grateful for the many miracles that have made it so.

And it took many miracles to make it to here and now.

No comments: