Sunday, June 15, 2014

Words of Wisdom, Part 2: The Healing Process

I love to learn from history, from other's experience and from wise people. That way I get the most gain with the least pain. It's why I love to read and learn from Dr. Fuhrman.

But that’s not my usual style. For me, and most people I know, change is hard. Growth is uncertain. Simple, positive outcomes are the stuff of dreams. I learn most often the hard way, through tough, bitter experience, with raw dirt, so to speak, being forced into open wounds in my soul. Real pain, spiritual and physical, seems to have the most impact as my teacher. And I'm not alone in this.

Isn’t it amazing how slowly we learn some things?

My mother’s personal history tells of her grandfather, a loving, loud, cigar and pipe smoking man who wept with pride when he heard his sons singing together. My great grandmother always kept a pot of coffee on the stove. They work and lived on their farm near a small Utah town.

Mormons? You betcha. And for their day and time, pretty normal.

In about 1875, five years after my great grandfather was born, the prophet Brigham Young gave a talk where he admonished the bishops of the church for not better living the Word of Wisdom. He said while most of ‘em lived a good part of it, none lived all of it.

So the most faithful people, in general, were still catching on. A health principle that saved many thousands of lives because of its ban on tobacco, was revealed as truth, spiritual principle and finally as a commandment, but it took time.

It finally came into its own, and was general practice among most Mormons, in the late 1800’s and beyond. It was still many years before the medical community or population in general acknowledged any of its worth. General compliance with the Word of Wisdom was a gradual process, necessary because hearts and habits change slowly.

Brigham Young in his later years taught a principle that was essential in the Word of Wisdom finally took hold. He said that as young people were taught to emphasize this, it would become the major blessing that was intended. And so it did.

So when I slip up and eat too much meat, cheese, whole grains, potatoes, sugar, oils, etc., I don’t feel bad. I feel determined. I know what’s right, for me, my health, and my direction is up.

I’m doing better and better over time, as I grow in my understanding and make this more fully effective in my life (here’s one good reason for being a member of Dr. Fuhrman’s web site). There’s so much to learn, so many habits, traditions and cultural dispositions to overcome.

And too much to gain to do anything else.

It’s the ultimate motivation here. Truth heals.

The Book of Mormon tells of a magnificent healing miracle, where the resurrected Savior says to bring anyone who is “lame, or blind, or halt, or maimed, or leprous, or that are withered, or that are deaf, or that are afflicted in any manner.” It then records “He did heal them every one” (3 Nephi 17:7, 9).

I think the nutritarian paradigm is truth, and a healing “miracle.” Nutrients per calorie equals good health. Simple, profound, powerful and far reaching in its effect.

I believe that same God who created us, made this world, gives us life and breath, abilities and free will, and is the ultimate source of all truth, wants us to learn truth and be healed.

I find no conflict between nutritarian eating and the Word of Wisdom. I quote from last part, the lesser known, non-tea/coffee/alcohol/tobacco part:

10 And again, verily I say unto you, all wholesome herbs God hath ordained for the constitution, nature, and use of man—
11 Every herb in the season thereof, and every fruit in the season thereof; all these to be used with prudence and thanksgiving.
12 Yea, flesh also of beasts and of the fowls of the air, I, the Lord, have ordained for the use of man with thanksgiving; nevertheless they are to be used sparingly;
13 And it is pleasing unto me that they should not be used, only in times of winter, or of cold, or famine.
14 All grain is ordained for the use of man and of beasts, to be the staff of life, not only for man but for the beasts of the field, and the fowls of heaven, and all wild animals that run or creep on the earth;
15 And these hath God made for the use of man only in times of famine and excess of hunger.
16 All grain is good for the food of man; as also the fruit of the vine; that which yieldeth fruit, whether in the ground or above the ground—
17 Nevertheless, wheat for man, and corn for the ox, and oats for the horse, and rye for the fowls and for swine, and for all beasts of the field, and barley for all useful animals, and for mild drinks, as also other grain.
18 And all saints who remember to keep and do these sayings, walking in obedience to the commandments, shall receive health in their navel and marrow to their bones;
19 And shall find wisdom and great treasures if knowledge, even hidden treasures . . . .

Oh my goodness, I think I’ve found hidden treasure here!

No comments: